7th July 2023
X-Alpine is a demanding 100 miles across amazing mountain areas with spectacular glaciers!
Starting at 10 p.m. from Verbier, a first ascent and a traverse along the ridge above the illuminated resort. Then you reach the famous village of Champex and its lake, passing by several typical Swiss villages. A long climb to the Orny hut awaits you. You will be in a very alpine environment, next to the first glacier. Then you go down to La Fouly before climbing up through alpine pastures and along the lakes of Fenêtre and the pass. A short passage to Italy before reaching the historical pass of Grand St Bernard, famous for its hospice and its rescue dogs. Then you go back in the direction of Verbier through several passes and eventually passing by the glacier area of Panossière and its suspension bridge. You’ll be very close to the Grd Combin, standing above you at 4314m. After this amazing place you will still have to climb the famous 1200m wall before going finally down to Verbier.
To take part to the X-Alpine in 2023, you need to have a valid UTMB Index in the 100M or 100K category, Index that you obtain by finishing a race labelled UTMB Index Race, in the year before registering. Check your UTMB Index in your runner’s area MyUTMB.
Every runner must have a min of 20 years old during the year of participation to register.
The X-Alpine is limited to 700 runners.
Verbier, Rue de la Poste
Friday, 7th July 2023
Le Chable, Espace St Marc
Friday 7th July 2023
10:00 am - 8 pm
Take benefit from the Trail Salon with several sports brands.
A) Basic Kit:
All clothing must be the correct size for the competitor and without having been modified in any way after leaving the factory. You carry this equipment in a pack which is not interchangeable during the race.
• Backpack destined to transport obligatory equipment throughout the race.
• Mobile phone
the runner must be reachable at any time before, during and after the race: keep the phone on, airplane mode is prohibited. We recommend to download the LiveRun application.
• Personal beaker 15 cl minimum (bottles or flasks with lids are not accepted).
• Minimum 1.l water reserve.
• 2 head lampls in good working order for X-Alpine and X-Traversée (with a spare battery for each torch)
• 1 torche in good working order for Verbier Marathon
Recommendation: 200 lumens or more for the main torch.
• Survival blanket of 1.40m x 2m minimum.
• Self-adhesive elasticated bandage which can serve as a bandage or strapping (minimum 100 cm x 6 cm).
• Food reserve. Recommendation: 800kcal (2 gels + 2 energizing bars each of 65g ).
• Jacket with hood which will withstand bad weather in the mountains and made with a waterproof* and breathable** membrane (see description at the end of the chapter)
• Cap or bandana
• Additional warm second layer : a warm second layer top with long sleeves of a weight of a minimum of 150g (men's size medium (M))
OR the combination of a warm long sleeved underwear (first or second layer) of a minimum weight of 110g (men's size medium (M)) and a durable water repellant windproof jacket*.
• Waterproof over-trousers
• Identity card
If you choose to take poles with you, you must carry them throughout the whole race. It’s forbidden to start without poles and take some afterwards.
B) Cold Kit: (for every race)
• Long-legged trousers or race leggings OR a combination of legging and socks which cover the legs completely
• One pair of warm gloves
• A long sleeved hotter sweater instead of the 150g sweater.
We will inform you on our website if you need to take the cold kit.
C) Other recommended equipment (non-exhaustive list)
• Spare warm clothing, indispensable in the case of cold or wet weather or in the case of injury.
• Poles in the case of rain or snow for your security on slippery ground.
• Vaseline or anti-heat cream.
• A 20 CHF note
• GPS watch.
• Knife or scissors for cutting elasticated bandage.
• Emergency sewing kit...
Race officials are entitled to check your backpack at any time during the race.
- Details about the waterproof jacket:
Minimum waterproof recommended 10 000 Schmerber.
Breathability index recommended inferior to 13.
The jacket must, imperatively, be fitted with an integrated hood
the seams must be sealed.
the jacket must not have sections of fabric which are not waterproof, but air vents fitted by the manufacturer (under-arm, in the back), since they do not damage in any obvious way the impermeability, are accepted.
It is the runner's responsibility to judge, with these criteria , if their jacket fits the regulations stated and so bad weather in the mountains, but, during a check, the judgment is made by the person in charge of the check or the steward.
We will provide you with a 30l bag when you collect your bib. You must use this bag if you want to give us a bag on the starting line just before your start in Verbier.
You will find it in Bourg St Pierre and it will return to Verbier.
You can claim this bag in Verbier up to Sunday 04:00 pm
You can also leave a bag at the start which will stay all along in Verbier. You don't need any particular bag for that.
We have no responsability for the content of those bags. Don't leave any valuable objects in them.
Finishing X-Alpine will provide you 4 Running Stones, allowing you to take part to the UTMB Mont-Blanc ballot on any race.
It will also be considered to calculate your UTMB index in the 100M category.
Don't wait any longer! Only 700 places are available on the X-Alpine, for an exclusive experience in the heart of the Swiss Alps. Register now.